PROZAC NATION

Current popular treatment approaches continue to pathologize more and more the range of human behaviors, while managed care and insurance companies continue their systematic efforts to reduce, restrict and eliminate coverage for mental health and behavioral afflictions. The juxtaposition of these opposing forces were recently commented on in a national publication:

“Looks like the American spirit has taken a hit in the past few years. The New York Observer tallied the number of Americans who suffer from eating disorders, attention-deficit disorder, panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive behavior, borderline personalities, seasonal affective disorder, chronic fatigue syndrome, restless legs syndrome, severe mental illness, alcoholism, allergies to chemicals, phobias, depression and addiction to sex. The total came to 157 million people. That equals 77 percent of all U.S. adults. The bad news is the other 23 percent were too dumb to understand the survey.”